Foot and Ankle Pain Specialist
Help With Elderly Foot CareTuesday, 06 June 2023 00:00
The importance of maintaining good foot care increases as we age. This may be difficult to do as the aging process occurs, and many seniors may need to have a family member or caregiver help them. It is beneficial to wear shoes that fit correctly, and this may help to prevent bunions, hammertoes, and other uncomfortable foot conditions from developing. It is helpful for the toenails to be trimmed weekly, which may be easier to accomplish after a bath or shower when they are softer. Performing gentle foot stretches can help with blood flowing properly, and physical activity may slowly be increased. Many seniors find it can be difficult to look at the bottom of the feet for any cuts that have developed, and often use a mirror. If you would like to have more knowledge about elderly foot care, it is suggested that you consult with a podiatrist who can provide you with useful information.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact one of our podiatrists from Ankle & Foot Care Center. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Jupiter, FL . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.