Foot and Ankle Pain Specialist
Walking Barefoot and Wearing Soft Shoes for BabiesTuesday, 08 November 2022 00:00
Babies are cute, and their tiny feet are no exception. While toddlers' shoes are adorable, research has shown that children’s feet will benefit more by walking barefoot as often as possible. This can help the toes to become stronger, as they grip the floor or soft ground while outside. Walking in various areas, including grass and sand, can help to strengthen the entire foot and may help to aid in balancing on different types of surfaces. When it is time to purchase their first pair of shoes, it is helpful if they are made of lightweight materials that are soft and flexible. This type of shoe may help to protect the foot’s soft cartridge until the bones begin to develop. Eventually, they can graduate to a more durable shoe, as they are walking and running faster. If you would like additional information about the importance of choosing the right shoes for your baby and toddler, please confer with a podiatrist who can answer any questions you may have.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Ankle & Foot Care Center. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Jupiter, FL . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.